As of October 31, 2016, Puerto Rico began using a new web-based program for the clearance of all shipments destined to Puerto Rico. The new system is named “SURI” (Sistema Unificado Rentas Internas / Unified System of Internal Revenue) and replaces the previous system, PICO. As a reminder, importers of shipments to Puerto Rico should follow this process to clear their shipments:
- Visit http://suri.hacienda.pr.gov/_/ . You can contact them with questions in English or Spanish at 787-721-2020 Option 6
- Upload your commercial invoice and declare value.
- Issue a payment by ACH payment/Credit Card or application of their Bond.
- Obtain a payment receipt.
- Obtain the document of “authorization of clearance/release of the shipment”.
YRC Freight also works on your behalf to help importers clear shipments to Puerto Rico as quickly as possible. We transmit electronic information to the Puerto Rico Treasury Department while the shipment is still in transit to the port. This process ensures that when the importer accesses the Treasury Department website there is an entry available for them to clear. It is important to provide YRC Freight with a Commercial Invoice on all shipments going to Puerto Rico so that we can transmit this information to the Puerto Rico Treasury Department and help you avoid customs clearance delays.
If you have any questions about the Puerto Rico customs clearance process, please contact Angel Colón, Terminal & Area Sales Manager Puerto Rico & USVI at 787-783-5200.