OVERLAND PARK, Kan., April 20, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — YRC Worldwide Inc. (NASDAQ:YRCW) today announced its eighth annual recognition of employees for environmental excellence. Through YRCW’s Destination Green program, six employees and two departments received the 2018 Environmental Excellence Award. To be considered for this honor, employees are nominated by coworkers or managers for above-and-beyond efforts to preserve corporate resources, promote practices that encourage sustainability within the company, and develop environmental partnerships with customers and vendors.
Employee projects that received this year’s award include:
- Implemented Optym software to handle customer shipments more efficiently, increasing opportunities for sustainability and service enhancements
- Launched network excellence projects to reduce linehaul mileage between distribution centers
- Converted large freight facilities to LED lighting, reducing power consumption and improving lighting for employee safety
- Switched to digital records and using cloud resources to create a paperless flow of documents for cross-border North American shipping
- Maximized recycling of used truck parts via a consolidation point
“Notable achievements by our award winners this year include network optimization projects to reduce linehaul mileage and large-scale facility LED lighting conversion projects,” said Darren Hawkins, YRCW President and Chief Operating Officer. “I am proud to recognize our champions of sustainability for their leadership in environmental excellence.”
In 2004, YRCW was one of only 15 companies that came together as charter partners in the development and launch of the Environmental Protection Agency’s SmartWay program, which has grown to more than 3,000 members. Since 2015, the company has replaced 20% of its tractors with new lower-emissions vehicles that have improved fleet fuel efficiency. Through these and many other initiatives, Holland, New Penn, Reddaway and YRC Freight are committed to a sustainable supply chain.